Musings of a Fashionista Trapped in Tech

Musings about fashion, handbags, work, and finances. For all the independent women who love the finer things in life but still want to remain financially responsible.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Cost per Wear

I've been thinking a lot about Cost-Per-Wear (CPW) lately (maybe it's because of spring cleaning). For those who aren't familiar with this term, it's a method of calculating the actual cost of a fashion item. The formula is simple: Take the item's price and divide it by the number of times you wear it. All the fashion magazine's have done stories on CPW. Examples include a Hermes Birkin bag at $6000 / 365 days (assuming you use it every day the first year) = $16.43 CPW. Of course, the lower the CPW number, the better.

I started to inventory my designer bags, shoes, jewelry, watches, etc. and here's just an example of some of my CPW:
- Diamond Wedding Set: $6.58 (wearing it everyday for over 5 years)
- Limited Louis Vuitton bag: $1350.00 (used twice at special occasions)
- Watch: one at $70, another at $17.65, and one at $550
- Shoes: Beloved pair of great guccis that goes with everything $1.39, pair of Manolos that have never been worn: $565

So, I've decided that I'm going to let go of some of the high CPW pieces. I've gotten pretty low (or no) mileage on them and I'm seeing how wasteful it all is.

Have some fun with this one, calculate the CPW of some of your items. :)

2 Comments:

  • At 2:25 PM, Blogger Phoebe said…

    hey, I do that!

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger Nicole said…

    I did a similar post last year. I also use the calculation a lot...most frequently when thinking about items I'm planning to buy, rather than those I already own.

    Here's the post, if you're interested:
    http://budgetingbabe.blogspot.com/2004/12/per-use-theory.html

     

Post a Comment

<< Home