Musings of a Fashionista Trapped in Tech

Musings about fashion, handbags, work, and finances. For all the independent women who love the finer things in life but still want to remain financially responsible.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Bonus Time

I finally found out the amount of my annual bonus and I have to admit that I'm somewhat dissapointed. I've worked my tail off in 2005, basically doing the job of 2 people and it's much less than I expected. Let me explain.. My bonus is essentially 15% of my annual salary. 50% is dependent on company revenue/performance, and the other 50% on personal performance. Well, my company did "OK" last year, but we didn't achieve our sales target, so we only got 40% of the maximum company target. I met all of my goals and then some, so I could tell my VP was embarrassed to tell me that no one in the company got 100% of their personal target due to our company's cash flow. Basically the company average was 65% attainment of their personal target, and I got 80%. My VP told me that the CEO wanted me to know that only 3 people in the entire company got 80% and that I am regarded highly as a "star performer".

I will say that I am flattered and that I truly regard bonuses as just that -- a bonus. I don't factor it into my financial planning or budgeting, but damn it, I EARNED my personal performance amount! All those nights/weekends, travel for the company, I feel like I was jipped! Well, I am thankful that I am in a job I love (even though it's not in fashion), and a growing company that has lots of potential.

As to what to do with the money, I'm going to save it. I have one of those high yield savings account with 4.80% APY and I'm going to stash it in there. Yes, I'm going to be good and not spend it on a new bag or clothes. :)

1 Comments:

  • At 11:09 PM, Blogger Nicole said…

    Oh man, I feel for you. I work for a company that's been up and down over the last five years. We don't even get bonuses! But just hang in there, work hard and save up. You're doing great!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home